Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Sgrafitto Inspiration / Research

Sgrafitto inspiration/research
I thought about making either some sort of pattern design or a focus on a main object. I like trees, so I thought about making one. I saw a few pretty cool sgrafitto trees on the internet and was inspired by that.


I also came across a sgrafitto artist. They use many different bright colors to create a scene on a mug, plate, or simply on any piece of ceramic piece. Unfortunately, I cannot find the site again. But, the ceramic piece that I really liked from that artist was an underwater theme. There were blue whales on it. She cleverly used the scrafitto technique to illustrate the waves. I also thought about doing something similar to that – having an animal on the pot and giving it a repeating patterned background.



A few other pieces of sgrafitto art stood out to me, and I thought about imitating the style of those pieces. For example, some of them had rims or borders with designs on them. Also, for one of the ceramic pieces (pictured above), a portion of the piece seems like its gray colored. However, that illusion is caused by the spacing in between the underglaze. I thought about doing something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment