Monday, March 2, 2015

Pinch Pot Reflection

What I Learnt
I made an elephant out of 4 pinch pots and combined them together. I learned that squirting water onto your project is useful, but if you squirt too much, it can do more harm than good. Before, I squirted too much water onto the head, and the trunk broke off. So, now, I pay closer attention to the amount of water I spray on. Secondly, I learnt how to properly fuse together pieces of clay. I'm not supposed to rub at the crack and try to make it disappear. I'm supposed to "move the clay" in that area and then smooth it out. In 3D art, I just tried to make the line disappear, and that resulted in a crack after firing. Thirdly, I improved my technique when using the ceramic tools. I learned how to use a needle tool better and the things that other tools (such as the ribbon tool and wooden rib) can do. Another large problem I faced was that after it was fired in the kiln, apparently an elementary ceramic piece melted onto my piece, so the elephant was stuck onto it. It cracked when we tried to remove the melted piece of ceramics from my elephant using a hammer or something. Also, I learned that glazes cannot be trusted when I used them. It may look like a certain color on the picture, but after I used it, it never (or rarely) turns out that color. It is because I don't put the proper amount of layers of glaze. Blue midnight turned out black.

Design Reflection
I pretty much stuck to the design I had in the first place. I only changed one thing about it. I changed the form and shape of the elephant's ears. I was afraid that if I had the ears out and they were too thin, it will collapse. Also, I wanted to have the elephant illustrate an emotion - a timid, shy one. So, I had the ears flop down and cover parts of his face. That was the only change in my design.



(Note: vocab is integrated into the process)

No comments:

Post a Comment