Monday, February 9, 2015

Coil Pot Process (February 9, 2015)

From where I left off, I had three layers. I added two more layers on. The fourth layer was a simple coil. I rolled it out by hand. However, I accidentally applied too much pressure, and it ended up being a little flat. But, I liked the flat texture of the coil. So I flattened the coil a little more, scored it and the base, and applied slip to it and the base, and stuck it on. After that, I made a layer of balls. Originally, I decided that I was going to make the balls the same height and size, but in the end, I changed the design and made balls that gradually increased in size and decreased in size. I did that for the entire layer, so it ended up kind of like "waves".

After that, during today's class, I used the new extruder (yay!) to create coils. I used a template that extruded three smaller coils that were stuck together. Difficult to describe. And sorry, I'll put pictures on here later. That coil turned out a little bad. It had air holes in it, so some parts were not usable. Next time, I should wedge it before putting it in the extruder. Anyways, because of the "waviness" of the balls, there are going to be gaps in between the balls and the coil. So, I used a thin coil to fill in the gaps. I scored and slipped that onto the balls. After that, I scored and slipped the "3-in-1" coil on top of the balls and the thin coils, making that the 6th layer, I think.

I really need to smooth out my pot. There are many bits of clay that make the pot look messy.


No comments:

Post a Comment